Monday, November 28, 2011

Gross Beyond Gross

So my post today will be short and sweet for one main reason...I am completely disgusting and sick.  After all the craziness of the holiday and school stress, my body has finally admitted defeat in the form of sneezing, fever, and general grossness.  I just made the first, of what I hope is not many, trip to the pharmacy to stock up tissues and decongestant.  Throughout all of this I keep thinking "I cannot afford to be sick this week"  The next few weeks are really crunch time in school, and I'm being observed by my supervisor for student teaching.  This makes me think of the first year of teaching, during which I'm told I'll probably be sick non-stop.  Other than developing a borderline obsession with hand sanitizer and taking vitamins regularly, is there any way for me to avoid this?  With my old job, if I was home sick, I could sit in bed with my laptop and still get some work done.  I have trouble picturing myself standing up in front of a group of kids, trying to be dynamic and engaging, while feeling blurry and reaching for a tissue every 2 seconds.  But I guess that is part of teaching.  Pushing through it when you can, and if not, making sure that you have some really great material set aside for substitutes.  Too bad there aren't grad school student substitutes...I would love one right about now.

1 comment:

  1. Feel better. Stay home if you need to. I went to school in my first year of teaching with a 104 fever and the chills. It was extremely difficult to teach, and it was not what my principal wanted. He sent me home and told me no one wants to get my flu. :) If you're sick with the flu, schools understand. If it is a cold, they typically want you to push through it! :)

    ReplyDelete